Somewhere between Lassen and Shasta, I left California behind and entered Jefferson State. I knew I'd arrived because the only NPR station you can tune to is Jefferson Public Radio. First proposed in 1852, just after California became a state, Jefferson is comprised of clump of about 20 counties that spans northern California and southern Oregon. The largely rural population of Jefferson tried valiantly for nearly a century to secede from California and Oregon and forge their own way to freedom. Residents have since kept the dream alive, if smouldering. I was sad to see on the Jefferson State website that Jefferson is no longer lobbying for statehood, but rather seeks only to be recognized as a territory. But it will remain a state of mind.
Saturday, July 6, 2013
Now Entering Jefferson State
Somewhere between Lassen and Shasta, I left California behind and entered Jefferson State. I knew I'd arrived because the only NPR station you can tune to is Jefferson Public Radio. First proposed in 1852, just after California became a state, Jefferson is comprised of clump of about 20 counties that spans northern California and southern Oregon. The largely rural population of Jefferson tried valiantly for nearly a century to secede from California and Oregon and forge their own way to freedom. Residents have since kept the dream alive, if smouldering. I was sad to see on the Jefferson State website that Jefferson is no longer lobbying for statehood, but rather seeks only to be recognized as a territory. But it will remain a state of mind.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I'm learning so much interesting history! Have a great trip Robin!
ReplyDelete~Cassie
So much interesting history to take in! There will be more! And if we're lucky, maybe some geology, too.
DeleteHi Cousin,
ReplyDeleteLove the blog! Have a splendid trip. Can't believe it's your first bike tour, know it won't be your last. We all want to ride with you too. xoxo, Lynn
Hi cousin! I want to ride with you guys, too! We may have to plan a bike tour of our own! But I better get through this one first....xox
Delete