Saturday, July 6, 2013

Enjoying Some California Weed

I probably wouldn't have chosen to stay in a town called Weed, but my friend Sandy highly encouraged it. So I made my way to the old logging town at the base of Mt. Shasta.


Aside from being more intriguing than an overnight in Mt. Shasta City, it was also more practical: No hotels in the more upscale, touristy Mt. Shasta City wanted a one-night visitor on a holiday weekend. Thankfully, the Hi-Lo Motel was happy to take me in. 


The sign promises a full hookup, but I think that's for the younger set.

Once settled in my room, I hopped on my bike to explore. There's not a lot in Weed...The obligatory dive bar or two, a couple of bakeries, some shuttered shops. And the local day spa, which advertises its services in the window:


It wouldn't be California without a car or two that harkens back to the days of James Dean.



The Hi-Lo is both the kind of place you pass through, and the kind of place locals drop into for a monstrous plate of biscuits and gravy or a cookies-n-cream shake. The wait staff are quick on their feet and skilled at deflecting tasteless comments from customers. Sandy and Sherrie took good care of me and kept me entertained. 


When I was done with dinner, I got to see the Hi-Lo's most famous feature: the classic neon sign, still blinking brightly after 60 years. 


And in the morning, I bid goodbye to Weed and the Hi-Lo, admiring the profile of Mt. Shasta behind it all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment