Thursday, July 4, 2013

This is a blog about a bike trip

My very first bike trip–which is sort of strange, considering that I’ve been on my bicycle almost every day for the last 20 years. 
This is also a blog about time with my good pal Debbie, who I met 21 years ago in front of a bulletin board covered with student job listings at the University of Washington. We were in the same graduate program, Russian and East European Studies. We talked about a book that interested us both, “Ecocide in the USSR." And we aired some early grievances about grad school. That chatter would grow to become us getting each other through our theses, and, as the years tumbled on, through our lives. 
Here we are, graduating with our Master’s degrees, flanking the chair of our department, our beloved Dan Waugh. Deb doesn't look a day older now than she did then.
Thanks for bringing Deb and I together, Prof. Waugh.
Dan has long since retired and is still climbing mountains all over the world, taking spectacular photos, sharing his knowledge freely, and working away at his longtime pursuit of writing a book about the Silk Road. I can only hope to be so fit and inspired.
Meanwhile, Deb and I work away at finding opportunities to see each other, which are far and few between.
This whole adventure was Deb’s idea. Thanks, chica. Or should I say bolshoya spacebo, padrooga. Can’t wait to see you Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment